Our regulator, the Solicitors Regulation Authority, following a market study has concluded that firms must now publish, on their website, price information for specified legal services which include Residential Conveyancing and Probate Services.
We set out below an estimate of our fees which relate to freehold residential properties, registered at HM Land Registry, located in England and Wales. These fees assume a straightforward transaction without unforeseen issues or complexities. Conveyancing is a minefield and we shall always do our best to advise you of issues and additional legal fees as soon as these are known.
We estimate our charges will be between £500 and £950 plus VAT, depending on the sale/purchase price of the property. For properties valued at more than £1m please contact us for a detailed quotation.
Price Range – fees range
|Property Price||Legal Fee (exclusive of VAT|
|Up to and including £200,000||£500.00 – £650.00|
|£200,001 – £400,000||£650.00 – £850.00|
|£400,001 – £500,000||£850.00 – £950.00|
- If purchasing a new build an additional £150 plus VAT is charged
- If selling/purchasing a leasehold property an additional £150 plus VAT is charged
- If you are purchasing with a Help to Buy ISA an additional £50 plus VAT per ISA is charged (to enable our firm to claim the ISA Bonus)
- If you are purchasing with a Help to Buy Equity Loan an additional £150 plus VAT is charged
- If purchasing with the assistance of a mortgage lender, an additional £150 plus VAT is charged for acting on behalf of your nominated lender
- If selling/purchasing an unregistered title an additional £150 plus VAT is charged
- If your mortgage lender instructs its own solicitors an additional £150 plus VAT is charged
(these are costs paid to third parties such as HM Land Registry and the Stamp Duty Land Tax office)
|Disbursement||Fee (exc. VAT)|
|Land Registry Priority Search||£3.00|
|Identity Verification||£6.00 per name|
|Bankruptcy Search||£2.00 per name|
|Water / Drainage Search /
|Between £200 and £400 depending upon the location of the Property|
|Land Registry registration fees||These vary depending on the value of the Property-full details available on the Land Registry website|
|Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT)||See below|
Stamp duty is calculated on the purchase price of your property and on a number of other factors specific to your circumstances. We will calculate your stamp duty payment and deal with payment of this to HMRC on your behalf. For an idea of the costs involved see HMRC stamp duty calculator.
Re-mortgage of a property – £350 – £650 plus VAT dependent upon the loan amount and the complexity of the transaction (including your lender’s instructions).
Our fees for this type of work are set on a fixed fee basis:
- Standard Single Will – £125 plus VAT
- Standard Mirror Wills for married couples – £200 plus VAT
You will be advised at your first appointment whether or not your Will can be prepared for this price and if not what the cost will be.
Lasting Power of Attorney
Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) (property and financial and/or health and welfare):
- £400 plus VAT for a single LPA
- £600 plus VAT for two LPA’s
- £800 plus VAT for four LPA’s (ie both types of LPA for a couple)
Disbursements that could apply
• The registration of the LPA at the Office of the Public Guardian – £82.00 per LPA
We can assist with all the legal aspects after someone dies including obtaining a Grant of Probate.
For dealing with the administration of an estate we charge on average between £1,000 to £5,000 plus VAT.
This estimate is an average price based on recent instructions; the actual cost to you will depend on a number of factors that we will discuss with you if you decide to instruct us. If there are multiple beneficiaries, numerous properties and bank accounts, our costs will be at the higher end. For Estates liable for Inheritance Tax, our fees shall be at the higher range.
There may be other costs on top of our fees called ‘disbursements’. These are fees and charges we will need to pay on your behalf as part of the process, such as Probate Registry fees. Examples of such fees are:
- Probate Registry fee for obtaining a grant of probate – this fee is £155.00 (additional official copy fees are £0.50) – please be aware that the Government is looking to significantly increase its Probate fees in 2019;
- Oath swear fees ranging between £7.00 – £9.00 per executor
All matters will be conducted by fully qualified solicitors at £200 per hour plus VAT per fee earner who will be aided by assistants. You will be informed at the commencement of all matters by the individual solicitor who will have the conduct of your matter.